Occasionally, Outlook does encounter issues and users get stuck. One of the very common issues is when your Outlook cannot connect to server. Don’t worry, this common issue can be dealt with very easily by following some really effective solutions.
The following guide takes you through all the possible reasons why you cannot connect to Outlook mail server.
Why Outlook Cannot Connect to Server?
Once you try to understand the error or issues closely, choosing the type of troubleshooting method will be easier. However, there are several reasons why Outlook cannot connect to server, still below are some of the most possible reasons for the same.
Error in Operating System
It is one of the rarest causes and it is possible only when the Outlook cannot connect to exchange server on a particular system. When the Windows or other operating system gets corrupted, the installed application cannot be accessed. Power cycle the computing system to get rid of this issue.
Poor Internet Connection
One of the most obvious reasons why Outlook can not connect to server, in fact, any Outlook error. When you have weak or no internet connection, it is difficult for Outlook to connect to the server.
These add-ins can be useful for you. However, the program itself is known to cause multiple problems. As like other Office products, Outlook does require users to use third-party add-ins in the program but you must disable the add-in feature when it does not connect with the server.
The Outlook is set as ‘Work Offline’
The Outlook has an inbuilt feature that allows users to remain disconnected from the internet while making full use of the features. The feature is called ‘Work Offline’ if the feature is enabled in your Outlook profile you may not be able to connect with the server properly.
Outdated Outlook Application
After every few months, Microsoft Outlook releases recent upgrades to add new features for all the professional and personal use, including security patches and to run the Outlook application better. Those updates also address bug fixes that could trouble the application. Not updating the application can also generate similar issues.
Corrupt Outlook Profile
The account corruption is one another reason. At times, your Outlook account gets corrupted due to unknown reasons and you cannot log in to your Outlook email account.
Corrupt Outlook Data files
His situation happens a lot particularly when Outlook is unable to properly update its data files due to an abrupt shutdown. Hence, a corrupt data file can also lead you to the Outlook cannot connect to the exchange server.
Wrong MS Office Installation
Outlook is a part of Microsoft Office, and MS Office includes other such applications such as MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, etc. In case the installation of the Office itself gets corrupt, Microsoft Outlook Cannot Connect To The Server. Reinstall the Office application and fix the connection problem automatically.
Nevertheless, you can always fix or deal with the Outlook server connecting problem by following one or more of the below-mentioned solutions.
How to Deal With Outlook Cannot Connect to Server?
Outlook cannot be used unless it can connect to its Exchange server. At times, such issues can be troubleshot by just power cycling your operating system and closing the Outlook for a while. But, you cannot solve the issue on yourself, follow the below-mentioned effective solutions in detail and fix Microsoft Outlook cannot connect to the server.
Fix ‘Microsoft Outlook Cannot Connect To The Server’ Issue By Disabling Outlook Add-ins
Even after most of the Outlook extensions are verified by the developers, they sometimes conflict with the settings and do not work properly. This further causes Outlook to not connect to the server. Hence, to get rid of this issue, disable Outlook extensions by following the below-mentioned steps.
- Start Outlook and navigate yourself towards the upper-left corner and click on ‘File’
- Drop down the options and click on the second last tab that is ‘Add-ins’
- Scroll down the window and navigate towards the end, besides the ‘COM Add-ins’ there is a button ‘Go’ hit on it
- Click on ‘Manage’ and a list of all the Outlook extensions will open in front of you, ‘Uncheck’ all the presented extensions
- Click on ‘Ok’
The aforementioned easy steps will disable all the Outlook add-ins. Once the extensions are disabled, restart your device, and the server issue will also be solved. If you still cannot connect to Outlook mail server, follow the next method.
Update Microsoft Outlook To Fix Outlook Cannot Connect To Server
If your Outlook cannot connect to server, we have the simplest solution for you. Check if there are any recent updates available for both your Outlook application and Windows. Software updates improve features and help patch existing bugs. Office 365 or other regular versions are usually updated automatically if an upgrade is required, but with some devices, you need to update your Outlook software manually. Read and follow the below-mentioned steps and update your Outlook software
- Start your Windows operating system and open the Outlook application
- Navigate yourself towards the upper-left corner and click on the ‘File’
- Drop down the options and select the options of ‘Office account’
- Under the ‘Product Description’, navigate yourself the lower-right button and click on ‘Update Options’
- If there are any recent updates available of the software, it will be mentioned on the screen, click on the option
- Hit the button of ‘Download and Update’ to confirm your choice and the Outlook will automatically start updating.
If your Outlook 365 cannot connect to exchange server and want to update the Windows software, follow the below mentioned steps.
- Start the Windows operating system and press ‘Windows’ and ‘S’ keys together
- Type ‘Update’ in the blank box and the ‘Windows Updates’ folder will automatically open
- Your Windows will be ‘Checking for updates….’, you will soon be shown ‘Updates are available’ if there are any recent updates
- Hit on the ‘Update’ button and it will start downloading automatically on the computer
After you apply the aforementioned steps and update both your Outlook and Windows, restart your operating device to see if the Outlook cannot connect to server issue has been resolved.
How To Fix Outlook 2016 Cannot Connect To Server?
If you want your Outlook version of 2016 to be connected with the exchange server then, you may need to change a few settings of the exchange server. Follow the below-mentioned steps and resolve your Outlook 2016 cannot connect to server.
- Open the Windows and go the the ‘Start’ and open ‘Control Panel’
- Navigate yourself towards the ‘Mail (Microsoft Outlook 2016)’ and click on it
- Choose the third option given on the screen ‘Show Profiles’ and further click on ‘Add’
- Under the ‘Profile Name’, enter the name and click on ‘Ok’
- Go to the ‘General’ tab and choose the ‘Outlook’ option and to set up your account, enter the following details
- Email Address
- Retype the Password
- Once you entered the aforementioned details, click on the ‘Next’ option and proceed
These steps will re-configure your Outlook profile and helps you to reconnect with Microsoft Outlook Exchange Server
- Hit the button of ‘Allow’ and ‘Next’ respectively
- The phases of Outlook reconnecting to the exchange servers will be shown to you, once the process is done, click on the ‘Finish’ button.
Hopefully, after just a quick follow up on the aforementioned method, the issue resolved. In case, you cannot connect to outgoing SMTP server Outlook 2016, follow the very next troubleshooting method.
Rebuild Outlook Data File And Fix Outlook Cannot Connect To Server
Microsoft Outlook uses two separate data file types, namely ‘.pst’ and ‘.ost’. Both types of files are vulnerable to certain errors that could cause problems with Outlook connectivity. Follow the below-mentioned steps and try to reconnect your Outlook with the server.
- Close the window of ‘Outlook’ and go to the ‘Start’ menu on your system
- Open the ‘Control Panel’ folder and navigate towards the ‘Mail’ to open it
- In the ‘Mail’ folder and scroll down the page and hit on the ‘Data Files’
- Search for a file by your ‘Email address’ and open it
- Open the ‘File Location’ and check what is the type of the data file. If it is ‘.pst’ type, do not make any changes and if it is ‘.ost’ type, right-click on the name and rename the ‘Outlook extension’
- After this, close all the windows one by one.
After you follow the aforementioned steps, your Outlook profile will automatically start rebuilding the data file. The entire process of the ‘Rebuild data files’ may take more than 15 minutes, it absolutely depends on the number of the Outlook data files. Once the process is complete, you will be notified with the following message ‘All the data files are rebuilt up to the date’.We assume that the microsoft outlook cannot connect to the server is fixed.
Repair Outlook And Fix Microsoft Outlook Cannot Connect To The Server
You can also try to fix this issue by repairing or reinstalling the Outlook application. If your Outlook 2013 cannot connect to SMTP server, this method will definitely help. Follow the below-mentioned steps and repair your Outlook profile.
Note: The Outlook users are requested to sit with their ‘Microsoft Office Product Key’, as while repairing or reinstalling the Outlook profile, the installation process might need the ‘Product Key’ for the verification.
- Start your Windows operating system and click on ‘Windows’ and ‘R’ keys together
- In the dialogue box, write down the ‘appwiz.cpl’ and hit the button of ‘Enter’
- The application will open. Now, click on the ‘Change’ button and proceed
- Click right on the same tab and select the option of ‘Repair’ and you will be redirected to the new window
- Hit the button of ‘Continue’ and some imperative instructions will prompt on your screen. Follow the same on-screen information and repair the Outlook profile.
Just after following the steps mentioned in the prior method, your Outlook application will be repaired, now you will no more sulk over that you cannot connect to Outlook mail server.
You still cannot connect to Outlook mail server, follow the last and the most effective method to deal with the same issue.
Disable ‘Work Offline’ From Outlook And Fix Outlook Cannot Connect To The Exchange Server
Few users turn on ‘Offline Mode’ in Outlook when they don’t have the internet access and still want to make use of Outlook and either check old emails or work in their office. This is one of the best features of Outlook but, this also has a drawback that after turning on this feature, Outlook cannot connect to the server even after having internet access. So, every time you turn this feature on, make sure you turn it off as well. Follow the below-mentioned steps to know how to disable the ‘Work Offline’ feature.
- Open Outlook application on your operating system
- Click on the third tab ‘Send/ Receive’
- Navigate yourself towards the ‘Work Offline’ and click on the ‘Globe’ icon
- Hit the symbol of ‘Red Cross’ on the globe
Once you click on the icon, the option will not be greyed out anymore. In case the ‘Work Offline’ icon is still greyed out, again click on the icon to deactivate or disable the feature. After changing the mode of the Outlook work offline, the Outlook cannot connect to exchange server issue will be resolved.
Why Choose us to fix Outlook Server Connecting issue
We assume that all the aforementioned methods were useful for you and you no longer receive the error message: ‘Outlook cannot connect to server’. In case, if you are not being able to follow any of the methods and seeking assistance, contact our technical experts. They are highly experienced and knowledgeable to deal with such Outlook errors.