Microsoft Outlook is not just a feature-rich email provider but also a convenient platform for effective professional communication. However, it is associated with several annoying errors also that affect other Windows applications in the long run. And one such error is Outlook error 0xc0000142.
So, in this guide, we will discuss ways to deal with this common Outlook error in detail and cover other important aspects one by one.
What is Microsoft Outlook Error 0xc0000142?
0xc0000142 Outlook error code can mostly be seen on Windows 10 systems. This issue occurs when you run any Windows programme and it fails to open. After the application stops from opening, you would see the following message displayed on your screen: ‘The application cannot start properly; Error 0xc0000142 is detected’.
Wondering why you are facing the Outlook error 0xc0000142? Let us take you through its causes and symptoms.
Outlook Error 0xc0000142: Main Causes
- Virus infection in your Outlook application or Windows system.
- Because of the Wrong Registry, you are facing the 0xc0000142 Outlook error.
- You have either left the installation of Windows Update incomplete or installed it incorrectly.
Due to the aforementioned reasons, you may encounter Outlook 2016 error 0xc0000142 and your Outlook app will not start.
Outlook Error 0xc0000142: Reasons
- The 0xc0000142 Outlook error code is constantly flashing on your Windows screen.
- Unable to complete the process of Windows applications.
- The Outlook application is unable to start.
If you are fed up with such experiences, go through the next section and get rid of the Outlook error 0xc0000142.
Outlook Error 0xc0000142: Quick Fixes
Are you at your wits’ end trying to think of ways to fix the Microsoft Outlook error 0xc0000142? Then, go through the methods mentioned below and learn how to fix Outlook issues in no time:
Run Outlook in Compatibility Mode
- Start your Windows system and locate the Microsoft Outlook application.
- Right-click on the application and select the ‘Properties’ from the options.
- Navigate towards the ‘Compatibility tab’ and open the window.
- Tick on the box that reads ‘Run Outlook in compatibility mode’.
- Choose the earlier version of Windows and select the ‘OK’ option.
Wait until the Outlook starts in compatibility mode. After this, the 0xc0000142 Outlook error will be fixed.
Repair and Reinstall Outlook Program
- Open the ‘Control Panel’ from the Settings sections of your Windows.
- Choose the ‘Add or Remove Programs’ tab.
- Locate the ‘Microsoft Outlook’ and tap on the Change.
- Drag the options and click on the ‘Reinstall or Repair’ tab.
- Select the ‘Next’ and hit on the ‘Detect and Repair’ option.
- Further click on the ‘Online Repair’ button.
Install the suggested online Outlook repair tool and follow the instructions prompt on your screen to repair the program.
- Go back to the Settings window and select the Windows Settings.
- Under the ‘Select Apps’, scroll through the options and click on the ‘Microsoft Office Desktop Apps’.
- Select the program and click on the ‘Uninstall’ tab next to its entry.
- Once the application is uninstalled, reinstall it from the Windows App Store or the official website of Microsoft Outlook.
After implementing the ten easy steps, the Outlook error 0xc0000142 will be fixed.
Run Virus Scan
- Click on the ‘Win’ and ‘R’ keys altogether and the RUN window will open.
- Type down: Control Panel in the dialogue box and tap on ‘Enter’.
- On the Control Panel window, click on the ‘Programs and Features’.
- Click on the ‘Add or Remove Programs’.
- Under the ‘Program list’ find unwanted or malicious programs by its name.
- Click on the ‘Remove’ next to the entry of the Application that you want to uninstall.
- Confirm your choice by kicking on the ‘Uninstall’.
This is how you can uninstall all the malicious programs and fix the Outlook error 0xc0000142 in no time.
Uninstall Latest Updates
- Open the ‘Control Panel’ from the Settings sections of your Windows.
- Right-click on anywhere on the Control Panel window and click on the ‘View By’.
- Further choose the ‘Small icons’ and select the ‘Programs & Features’ option.
- Navigate towards the ‘upper-left’ corner of the window and click on the ‘View’.
- Select the program that you have recently updated and want to undo it, and click on the ‘Uninstall’.
When the uninstall process is completed restart your computer to apply changes.
Verify Registry and Correct it
- Open Registry Editor by following the enlisted steps.
- Click on the ‘Windows’ and ‘R’ keys and open the Run command box.
- Type down ‘regedit’ and click on the ‘Enter’ to open the Registry Editor.
- Locate the ‘HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\’.
- Double click on the ‘LoadAppInit_DLLs value’ and edit the value with ‘0’.
- Click on the ‘Ok’ and select the ‘Restart’ button from the Power options.
After restarting your computing system, start your work without Outlook 2016 error 0xc0000142.
Update Graphic Card Drive
- On your keyboard, press on ‘Win’ and ‘R’ keys together and launch the ‘Run’ box.
- Type ‘devmgmt’ and choose the ‘Ok’ button.
- Once the Device Management’ application opens, navigate towards the ‘Display adapters’ and right-click on it.
- Choose the ‘Graphics card’ from the device management options and click on the ‘Properties’.
- Open the ‘Driver’ tab, find the option of ‘Update Driver’ and click on it.
- Choose the option of ‘Search automatically for updated driver software’.
- Now, follow the instructions promoting on your screen and complete the process.
After updating the graphic cards, the Outlook error 0xc0000142 will be fixed and your hardware will be in a condition to perform best.
Run Windows in Clean Boot
- Run Command box by clicking on the ‘Windows’ + ‘R’ buttons on the keyboard.
- Open the ‘System Configuration Utility’ window by typing ‘msconfig’ in the required box and hitting on the ‘Enter’.
- On the System Configuration window, click on the third tab that is the ‘Services’ tab.
- Check the box that reads ‘Hide all Microsoft Services’ and click on the ‘Disable All’.
The prior step will not allow any services other than Microsoft applications to start at your Windows device.
- Now go back to the ‘System Configuration’ window and click on the ‘StartUp’ tab.
- Check all the programs that start at Windows and run in the background and click on the ‘Disable all’.
- Now, go to the ‘Task Manager’, select the startup programs, and click on the ‘Disable’.
- Click on the ‘OK’ and select the ‘Restart’ button from the Power options.
- Once the system starts again, you will not be facing the Outlook error 0xc0000142 while starting the Outlook application.
Note: Once you could fix the error, do not forget to exit from the Clean Boot state. Open the System Configuration utility again and select the option of ‘Normal startup’ from the General Tab.
We hope all the seven easy and effective fixes helped you in dealing with the Outlook error 0xc0000142. For any query related to Office.Com/Setup, speak to our representatives.